|The holiday environment presents many potential risks to our pets. Here are some hazards to be aware of this season.
Keep your dog away from poisonous holiday plants, including mistletoe and poinsettias. Christmas trees can be treated with preservatives that can leach into the water in the tree stand, so don’t let your pet take a drink.
Alcohol is toxic to dogs, so make sure to keep Spot away from the punch bowl. Unattended food can lead to uninvited doggy snacking and the potential harm that comes from chocolate, turkey bones, and other holiday cuisine.
Keep tree decorations far out of reach. Ornaments are often made of glass and the hooks are sharp and pointy — enough said. And many snow globes are filled with harmful liquids, including the chemicals found in antifreeze.
Emma Rachel is a co-founder of the online natural dog-supply shop FidoDogTreats.com